Ensuring Enrollment Participation with a
A hospital of 664 employees with an overworked and understaffed HR department, who manually handled all aspects of their benefits package, struggled each year with open enrollment, new hire on-boarding and keeping employee data up- to-date and compliant.
With 3 unions, 18 job classes and 14 rate groups, manually updating internal records and various carrier portals was time consuming and repetitive—leaving a lot of room for human error.
Added to their struggles were multiple worksite carriers with varying products and limited levels of support.
- Manual paper based open enrollment process with limited HR staff.
- Multiple core benefit vendors requiring access to a variety of carrier portals for employee enrollment data.
- Multiple voluntary benefit vendors with varying levels of employee education and support. (One vendor hadn’t returned in nine years.)
- Employee census data, including beneficiary elections, was not up-to-date.
- BEST launched a multi-level employee communication & education campaign including attendance at their annual benefits fair.
- BEST was on-site with a team of 8 benefit counselors working different shifts Monday-Friday from 6:00 am – Midnight to educate employees on their total benefit options, update their beneficiary designation, and obtain their 2018 benefits election.
- BEST met with 90% of the employees (598 employees) during a 5-day on-site enrollment period.
- BEST’s internal call center worked with an additional 7% of the employees to complete their open enrollment via our call center system.
- BEST worked with HR to determine and log the status of the remaining 3% of the employees.
- The team at BEST met with 97% of benefit eligible employees during open enrollment.
- Employee participation increased after BEST consolidated worksite vendors and negotiated guarantee issue on most products.
- All employee data was scrubbed and updated, including beneficiary information.
Contact us today to discuss how we can help with your unique challenge. For more case studies, click on a link below.